Europe Inflight Catering Market Overview
The European inflight catering market is projected to record a CAGR of 8.1% during the forecast period (2022 - 2027). The bakery and confectionery segment currently dominates the European inflight catering market. There has been a notable rise in domestic and intra-Europe travel in 2021, with a total market share capturing more than 60%. This shift in operations has changed the average flight duration from 45 minutes to 60 minutes. In such short flights, the guests' preference change has led to an increase in demand for bakery and confectionery items. Among bakery products, sweet and sour bread, flavored croissants, and cheese confectionaries witnessed the highest market share. However, some of the airlines in the region are converting the complementary services into retail services, which may help the airlines increase their revenues and mitigate their pandemic losses. For instance, from December 2021, Lufthansa began to charge the passengers in the economy and premium economy on long-haul flights for mid-flight snacks and liquor as a part of their recovery plans from its pandemic losses. Earlier in 2021, the airline removed free snacks and drinks for economy class passengers on short-haul routes to support onboard retail service.
Download a free sample here – Europe Inflight Catering Market
Europe Inflight Catering Market - Geographical Overview
According to the Advance Passenger Information (API), and Border and Immigration Transaction Data (BITD), the UK air arrivals were 28.60 million in 2020 and 22.84 million in 2021. The air arrivals decreased by 20.1% in 2021 compared to 2020. However, during the second half of 2021, air arrivals increased by approximately 88% compared to 2020. As the aviation industry in the country is recovering gradually, major airlines, like British Airways and EasyJet are currently increasing their global connectivity with the introduction of new destinations, which is expected to bring new menus onboard aircraft. As the airlines in the country look to improve their food offerings based on season and flight destination, partnering with star chefs is helping them to modify their dishes without incurring too high costs. In this regard, in October 2021, Virgin Atlantic introduced its new autumn menu options and reintroduced onboard favorites across all its cabins including new meal, beverages, and snacks options.
Check our other latest research on –
- Inflight Catering Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2022 - 2027)
- Inflight Entertainment and Connectivity Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2022 - 2027)
Recent Developments in the Europe Inflight Catering Market
- In March 2022, Newrest announced that the company began providing hot meal services on two-class flights of Air Transat from various countries across Europe like Belgium, England, France, Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain.
- In January 2022, Scandinavian Airlines entered into a partnership with Newrest for its inflight catering services. Under the agreement, the company will provide inflight catering services to SAS in the capital cities of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark.
- In July 2021, Gategroup announced the completion of the acquisition of the European operations of LSG Group from Deutsche Lufthansa AG (“Lufthansa”). The transaction comprises LSG’s inflight catering operations in Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, and Spain, as well as the global equipment business trading under the SPIRIANT brand.
- In May 2021, Iberia launched a new service for the purchase of inflight meals and snacks for passengers traveling on short- and medium-haul flights. The menu option is presented under the Deliverfly menu, which includes food options like salads, salmon poke bowls, sandwiches, vegan options, pasta dishes including lasagne, and gourmet tapas.
Related Research and Links
- Commercial Aircraft Seating Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2022 - 2027)
- More Electric Aircraft Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2022 - 2027)
List of Key Players in the Europe Inflight Catering Market
- Flying Food Group
- DO & CO Aktiengesellschaf
- The Emirates Group
- Newrest Group Services SAS
- SATS Ltd
- IGS Ground Services
- KLM Catering Services
- Fleury Michon Airline Catering
- Carlos Aviation Catering Network GmbH
*List Not Exhaustive
Mordor Intelligence has segmented the Europe inflight catering market based on food type, flight type, aircraft seating class, and geography:
- Food Type (Market Size & Forecast based on Revenue (USD million), 2018-2027)
- Bakery and Confectionery
- Other Food Types
- Flight Type (Market Size & Forecast based on Revenue (USD million), 2018-2027)
- Full-service Carriers
- Low-cost Carriers
- Other flight types
- Aircraft Seating Class (Market Size & Forecast based on Revenue (USD million), 2018-2027)
- Economy Class
- Business Class
- First Class
- Geography (Market Size & Forecast based on Revenue (USD million), 2018-2027)
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
About Mordor Intelligence
Mordor Intelligence is a market intelligence and advisory firm. Our mission is to map complex business ecosystems across the globe to better predict butterfly effects. To date, we have partnered with 4000+ enterprises across 20 industries, to deliver precise data and actionable insights in over 6000 projects. Our domain-specific teams of research experts continuously track markets, enabling our clients to gain a competitive edge through high-quality market intelligence.
We offer fully tailored intelligence solutions to meet the unique business requirements of any organization. Our deep industry expertise coupled with cross-functional analyst teams ensures we can support the intelligence requirements of even the most specific of business problems.
Company Name: Mordor Intelligence Private Limited
Contact Person: Sai Teja
Email: Send Email
Phone: +1 617-765-2493
Address:5th Floor, Rajapushpa Summit, Nanakramguda Rd, Financial District, Gachibowli
State: Telangana 500008