Photo from Unsplash
Originally Posted On: https://www.kineticeducation.com.au/blog/kinetic_blog.html?p=should-we-be-preparing-our-kids-for-naplan
What is NAPLAN?
NAPLAN is a standardised assessment that all Australian students must sit in grades 3, 5, 7 and 9. The assessment is designed to provide data to the Australian government on how students are progressing in relation to the Australian curriculum.
NAPLAN 2022 is now online, rather than paper tests from previous years.
What does NAPLAN Assess?
NAPLAN checks that children are hitting key milestones in the Australian curriculum by assessing their capabilities in numeracy and literacy. The tests are divided into four main sections, reading, writing, language conventions (spelling, grammar and punctuation) and mathematics. It’s important to remember that students will not be assessed in any concepts they have not already been taught.
Tips on preparing for NAPLAN 2022
- Avoid excessive preparation: Every day of your child’s schooling career has been preparing them for NAPLAN. It’s a good idea to do some basic revision but too much preparation is unnecessary and may cause stress which can impact your child’s performance.
- Speak with their teacher: If you are concerned about an upcoming NAPLAN test it’s a good idea to schedule a time to speak with your child’s teacher to find out if they have any concerns about your child’s development or if there are any specific concepts they should revise.
- Refresh their memory: Although your child has likely already learnt what they will need to know for NAPLAN, it’s normal for students to forget over time. Some revision work to refresh their memory can help.
- Talk to your child about NAPLAN: It’s a good idea to speak with your children about NAPLAN. Explain what NAPLAN is, what will be assessed and why they need to do it. It may also be helpful to ask them if there is anything they are worried about and would like to go over before the assessment. This can help calm your child’s nerves and allow them to enter the assessment in a clear and calm frame of mind.
- Talk to us at Kinetic Education. We can help your child prepare for their NAPLAN Online tests which will also help them gain confidence going forward at school. Click here to see how.